Dual Language Immersion
Dual Language Immersion is an educational program where students learn in their native language for half of the day and in a target language in the other half of the day. Our program is English and Spanish dual immersion, or “dual immersion” for short.
Decades of research teach us that immersion programs help students attain high levels of second language proficiency better than all other programs. Students involved in immersion also show greater cognitive flexibility, focus, memory, and superior problem solving skills. These students also enjoy an enhanced understanding of their native language. Immersion students are more aware and demonstrate more acceptance and understanding toward other people and cultures. Looking into the future, we recognize that bilingual high school graduates are better prepared for today’s career opportunities.
Student Selection Protocol
Usually there are more people interested in the program than there is space. Our selection policy is outlined below.
- Parents apply for their child to participate in the next year’s FIRST GRADE during the months of February and March.
- Our goal is to have as close to 50% of both English and Spanish native speakers in each grade.
- Certain students are given priority in the selection process. They are:
- Students who live within East Elementary boundaries,
- Siblings of current dual immersion students,
- Children of East Elementary employees, and
- Students whose parents are willing to commit to the full 1-12 program.
- In the situation where more students are interested than there is room available, the students who have priority will be enrolled followed by a lottery for all others.
- All applicants will be notified via text or email whether or not their child has been enrolled.
- Students who were not selected in the initial selection will be placed on a waiting list.
- In the case where a lottery was not necessary, students on the waitlist will be admitted in the order of their request thereafter.
- In the case where a lottery was necessary, another lottery will be performed to create an order to admittance thereafter. All applicants after this lottery will be admitted in the order of their request.
- In either case, only the newly admitted student will be notified as openings become available.
- Students may enroll up until Christmas break during their second grade year based on availability.